Many cats spend a lot of time talking. Especially cats that we work with at Bee- Jay Cattery. Most notably the Siamese! But all cats meow! So what are they trying to say? Here are the top 7 reasons why cats meow.
- To Greet You! Cats sometimes just like to say hello! Whether that is when you first get home or if you both suddenly bump into each other in the kitchen your cat just may be saying “Hows it going human?”
- To Tell You That Its Dinner Time! Cats can be very good at letting you know when its time for food. Whether you have a strict dinner routine with a specific time or if your cat has just decided that they’re hungry a cat’s meow can often indicate that they are ready for you to feed them. Usually, you can pick up on this pretty easy as it is often accompanied by frantic running around your feet!
- Let Me In! While we recommend cat owners keep their cats indoors, you still may hear this one while in the house. Especially if your cat, like many cats, enjoys running into open cabinets or cupboards. They know just how to make sure you come find them!
- I’m in heat (uh-oh)! Female cats will vocalize much more frequently during a heat cycle. Unless you plan on breeding your cat, you should spay or neuter your cats. A female cat in heat will keep you up at night!
- I need attention! Your cat will let you know that it is time for them be pet with simple and persistent meow! Again, this one is easy to spot since it is often accompanied by your cat basically petting themselves on your free hand.
- I want some company! Sometimes your cat just wants to figure out where you are. Calling out around the house with a good meow is a great way to do that. Or maybe they will sit outside your closed bedroom door and meow for a good hour. You know to help you get a good start on the day!
- I’m hurt! If you hear a meow unlike any other that you have heard before, there is a good chance that your cat may be in some kind of distress. Often these types of meows are longer and more drawn out.
Still not satisfied? Don’t believe us? Well, maybe you will listen to veterinarian Patty Khuly!
All in all, cats have a huge variety of reasons to meow. We have already scratched the surface here! Tell us about when and why your cat meows!
Don’t have a cat but need some meows in your life? Visit Aurora’s best cat breeder and let us introduce you to the most talkative Siamese of your life!